One ambitious manager. Four unknown singers. The tour that put them on the charts wasn't even on the map.
|In Movie Theaters:||Friday, March 22, 2013 Limited |
Released; Now Playing Get Showtimes
|Chris O'Dowd . . . Dave|
Deborah Mailman . . . Gail
Jessica Mauboy . . . Julie
Shari Sebbens . . . Kay
Miranda Tapsell . . . Cynthia
|Companies:||The Weinstein Company|
|Rating:||for sexuality, a scene of war violence, some language, thematic elements and smoking.|
|Runtime:||1 hour, 43 minutes|
Inspired by a true story, The Sapphires follows four vivacious, young and talented Australian Aboriginal girls from a remote mission as they learn about love, friendship and war when their all girl group The Sapphires entertains the U.S. troops in Vietnam in 1968. Cynthia (Tapsell), Gail (Mailman), Julie (Mauboy) and Kay (Sebbens) are discovered by Dave (O’Dowd), a good-humored talent scout with a kind heart, very little rhythm but a great knowledge of soul music. As their manager, Dave books the sisters their first true gig giving them their first taste of stardom, and travels them to Vietnam to sing for the American troops.
official version from weinsteinco.com
The screenplay was written by playwright Tony Briggs, whose mother and family members were part of The Sapphires group, and Keith Thompson.
Questions & Answers:
3.67 out of 5 stars (3 users) Add Review
Production Updates (28)
- From Sat., March 30, 2013 to Thu., December 20, 2012
- Amazon Sat., March 30, 2013
- added the US soundtrack release date of March 19, 2013
- Internet Movie Poster Awards Sat., March 2, 2013
- added the tagline: "One ambitious manager. Four unknown singers. The tour that put them on the charts wasn't even on the map."
- added a poster to the gallery
- Weinsteinco.com Sun., January 27, 2013
- changed the production status to Complete
- added Video Clip: What a Man to trailers & videos
- added Video Clip: Audition to trailers & videos
- added Theatrical Trailer to trailers & videos
- changed the US film release date from TBA 2013 to March 22, 2013