A story of killers who win, and the society they build.
|In Movie Theaters:||Friday, July 19, 2013 Limited|
|On Blu-ray & DVD:||Tuesday, November 19, 2013|
Released; Now Available Buy or Rent Availability
|Companies:||Drafthouse Films & 1 more|
|Runtime:||1 hour, 55 minutes|
This chilling and inventive documentary examines a country where death squad leaders are celebrated as heroes, challenging them to reenact their real-life mass-killings in the style of the American movies they love.
When the Indonesian government was overthrown in 1965, small-time gangster Anwar Congo and his friends went from selling movie tickets on the black market to leading anti-communist death squads in the mass murder of over a million people. Anwar boasts of killing hundreds with his own hands, but he's lived in his country with impunity ever since. When approached to make a film about their role in the genocide, Anwar and his friends eagerly comply-but their idea of being in a movie is not to provide reflective testimony, but to dance their way through musical numbers, twist arms in film noir gangster scenes, and gallop across the prairies as yodeling cowboys.
official version from drafthouse.com
Questions & Answers:
3.50 out of 5 stars (2 users) Add Review
Production Updates (16)
- From Sun., September 8, 2013 to Fri., May 3, 2013
- Amazon Sun., September 8, 2013
- added the U.S. DVD release date of November 19, 2013
- added the U.S. Blu-ray release date of November 19, 2013
- Apple Trailers Thu., May 23, 2013
- added Theatrical Trailer to trailers & videos
- added a poster to the gallery
- Drafthouse.com Fri., May 3, 2013
- added Drafthouse Films as a distributor
- added the tagline: "A story of killers who win, and the society they build."
- added a running time of 115 minutes
- added documentary as a genre
Belle Behind-the-Scenes Featurette
Gone Girl Theatrical Teaser
Hercules TV Spot
Beneath the Harvest Sky Theatrical Trailer