Officer Judy Hopps (voice of Ginnifer Goodwin), the very first bunny on Zootopia’s police force, jumps at the opportunity to crack her first case more
Release DateU.S.Zootopia was released on
Friday, March 4, 2016 Nationwide Release 3D/2D
Tuesday, June 7, 2016
Released; Now Available Buy | Rent Now
Digital Cable, Amazon Instant, Google Play, iTunesTuesday, June 7, 2016
Released; Watch Now! Buy | Rent Now
Cast more cast
Rating MPAAPG for some thematic elements, rude humor and action
Storylines 3 more
The modern mammal metropolis of Zootopia is a city like no other. Comprised of habitat neighborhoods like ritzy Sahara Square and frigid Tundratown, it’s a melting pot where animals from every environment live together—a place where no matter what you are, from the biggest elephant to the smallest shrew, you can be anything. But when optimistic Officer Judy Hopps arrives, she discovers that being the first bunny on a police force of big, tough animals isn’t so easy. Determined to prove herself, she jumps at the opportunity to crack a case, even if it means partnering with a fast-talking, scam-artist fox, Nick Wilde, to solve the mystery.
Trivia & Production Notes
- Director Byron Howard is a Disney veteran, having worked in various jobs on movies ranging from Pocahontas and Mulan to Lilo & Stitch and Brother Bear.
- This is Jason Bateman's first voice-over work for a feature.
- “We knew that Zootopia would only succeed if we found the perfect actors to play our main characters,” said director Byron Howard (Tangled, Bolt). “This rabbit- and fox-duo are in practically every scene in the film together. After meeting Ginnifer, we knew she embodied Hopps, the ultimate pure-of-heart, idealist bunny. You fall in love with her character instantly. And for Nick Wilde, our cynical con-artist fox, we only ever had one actor in mind, the incomparable Jason Bateman. Jason has a way of saying the most hilarious sarcastic things while always staying completely charming. We feel so fortunate to be working with both of them.”
- Features an all-new original song, “Try Everything,” written by singer-songwriter Sia and songwriting duo Stargate, and performed by Shakira.
- Idris Elba provides the voice of CHIEF BOGO, head of the Zootopia Police Department. A tough cape buffalo with 2,000 lbs of attitude, Bogo is reluctant to add Judy Hopps, Zootopia’s first bunny cop, to his squad of hardened rhinos, elephants and hippos.
- J.K. Simmons lends his voice to MAYOR LEODORE LIONHEART, the noble leader of Zootopia, who coined the city’s mantra that Judy Hopps lives by: “In Zootopia, anyone can be anything.”
- Nate Torrence lends his voice to the Zootopia Police Department’s most charming cheetah, BENJAMIN CLAWHAUSER. Clawhauser loves two things: pop star Gazelle and donuts. From his reception desk, he greets everyone with a warm smile and a helpful paw
- Jenny Slate provides the voice of ASSISTANT MAYOR BELLWETHER, a sweet sheep with a little voice and a lot of wool, who constantly finds herself under foot of the larger-than-life Mayor Lionheart.
- Bonnie Hunt provides the voice of BONNIE HOPPS, mother of Judy and her 275 brothers and sisters. Mrs. Hopps loves and supports her daughter, but is a hare nervous about Judy moving to Zootopia to become a big-city police officer.
- Octavia Spencer voices MRS. OTTERTON, a desperate otter who turns to Officer Judy Hopps for help in solving her husband’s mysterious disappearance.
- Zootopia is Walt Disney Animation Studios’ 55th animated feature.
Also Known As
- Untitled Disney Animal Comedy Project
- Untitled Disney Animation (2016)