Friday, November 13, 2015 Nationwide
a disaster sequence and some language PARENTS STRONGLY CAUTIONED
Plot: What's the story about?
In 2010, the eyes of the world turned to Chile, where 33 miners had been buried alive by the catastrophic explosion and collapse of a 100-year-old gold and copper mine. Over the next 69 days, an international team worked night and day in a desperate attempt to rescue the trapped men as their families and friends, as well as millions of people globally, waited and watched anxiously for any sign of hope. But 200 stories beneath the surface, in the suffocating heat and with tensions rising, provisions—and time—were quickly running out.
official plot version from warnerbros.com
3.32 / 5 stars (41 users)
Poll: Will you see The 33?
Who stars in The 33: Cast List
Antonio Banderas ... Mario Sepulveda, aka Super Mario
Cult Killer, Journey to Bethlehem
The Amazing Spider-Man, Catch Me If You Can
Rio, Rio 2
Juliette Binoche ... María Segovia
The Taste of Things, The Return
Lightyear, Being Rose
Lou Diamond Phillips ... Luis Urzua 'Don Lucho'
Urban Country, Easter Sunday
Who's making The 33: Crew List
A look at the The 33 behind-the-scenes crew and production team. The film's director Patricia Riggen last directed Miracles From Heaven and Elsa and Fred. The film's writer Mikko Alanne last wrote Mapplethorpe and 5 Days of War.
Watch The 33 Trailers & Videos
Production: What we know about The 33?
- Based on the screen story by José Rivera and the book Deep Down Dark by Hector Tobar.
- Antonio Banderas is playing the role of Mario Sepulveda, the charismatic miner nicknamed "Super Mario." Martin Sheen will play a miner's father, while Rodrigo Santoro is tackling the role of a trapped miner.
- Producer Mike Medavoy secured the miners' exclusive life rights last year and developed the project in collaboration with the men, their rescuers and their families.
- 2015 - May: The film was set to Completed status.
- 2013 - May: The film was set to Pre-Production status.
Production scheduled to begin Fall 2013.