In 2010, the eyes of the world turned to Chile, where 33 miners had been buried alive by the catastrophic explosion and collapse of a 100-year-old gold and copper mine. Over the next 69 days, an inter...
The 33 Plot: What's the story?
In 2010, the eyes of the world turned to Chile, where 33 miners had been buried alive by the catastrophic explosion and collapse of a 100-year-old gold and copper mine. Over the next 69 days, an international team worked night and day in a desperate attempt to rescue the trapped men as their families and friends, as well as millions of people globally, waited and watched anxiously for any sign of hope. But 200 stories beneath the surface, in the suffocating heat and with tensions rising, provisions—and time—were quickly running out.
official plot version from warnerbros.com
3.28 / 5 stars (40 users)
Poll: Will you see The 33?
The 33 Cast: Who are the actors?
- Antonio Banderas ... Mario Sepulveda, aka Super Mario
Dolittle, The Laundromat
- Martin Sheen
The Amazing Spider-Man 2, The Amazing Spider-Man
- Rodrigo Santoro
Rio, Jane Got a Gun
- Juliette Binoche ... María Segovia
Ghost in the Shell, High Life
- James Brolin
Being Rose, Sisters
- Cote de Pablo
Film Details & Notes: What do we know about The 33?
- Based on the screen story by José Rivera and the book Deep Down Dark by Hector Tobar.
- Antonio Banderas is playing the role of Mario Sepulveda, the charismatic miner nicknamed "Super Mario." Martin Sheen will play a miner's father, while Rodrigo Santoro is tackling the role of a trapped miner.
- Producer Mike Medavoy secured the miners' exclusive life rights last year and developed the project in collaboration with the men, their rescuers and their families.
Crew and Production Credits: Who's making The 33?
A look at the The 33 behind-the-scenes crew and production team. The film's director Patricia Riggen last directed Miracles From Heaven and Elsa and Fred. The film's writer Mikko Alanne last wrote Mapplethorpe and 5 Days of War.
Production Timeline: When did the The 33 come together?
On or about May 2, 2015 • The film was in Completed status.
On or about May 20, 2013 • The film was in Pre-Production status.
Production scheduled to begin Fall 2013.
The 33 Release Date: When was it released?The 33 was released in 2015 on Friday, November 13, 2015 in nationwide movie theaters. There were 10 other movies released on the same date, including By The Sea, My All American and Kilo Two Bravo.
- United States
- November 13, 2015 Nationwide
- November 13, 2015
When will the movie be on Blu-ray & DVD?Tuesday, February 16, 2016
Released; Now Available Buy | Rent Now