Space Jam: A New Legacy movie production status is currently Post-Production
October 15, 2019 • Filming completed; editing of shot film; music composition and recordings, as well as sound and visual effects being added. Principal photography began on June 25, 2019 (during the NBA off-season) and production wrapped on September 14, 2019. Surprisingly, director Terence Nance left the project during filming for creative differences and was quickly replaced by Malcolm D. Lee (Night School, Girls Trip).
Friday, July 16, 2021 (Nationwide)
Plot: What's the story about?
Welcome to the Jam! NBA champion and global icon LeBron James goes on an epic adventure alongside timeless Tune Bugs Bunny with the animated/live-action event “Space Jam: A New Legacy,” from director Malcolm D. Lee and an innovative filmmaking team including Ryan Coogler and Maverick Carter. This transformational journey is a manic mashup of two worlds that reveals just how far some parents will go to connect with their kids. When LeBron and his young son Dom are trapped in a digital space by a rogue A.I., LeBron must get them home safe by leading Bugs, Lola Bunny and the whole gang of notoriously undisciplined Looney Tunes to victory over the A.I.’s digitized champions on the court: a powered-up roster of professional basketball stars as you’ve never seen them before. It’s Tunes versus Goons in the highest-stakes challenge of his life, that will redefine LeBron’s bond with his son and shine a light on the power of being yourself. The ready-for-action Tunes destroy convention, supercharge their unique talents and surprise even “King” James by playing the game their own way.
Poll: Will you see Space Jam: A New Legacy?
Who stars in Space Jam: A New Legacy: Cast List
LeBron James ... Himself
"Smallfoot" , "More Than a Game"
Don Cheadle ... Al-G Rhythm
"Iron Man 3" , "Avengers: Infinity War"
Sonequa Martin ... Kamiyah James
"The Outside Story" , "Toe to Toe"
Eric Bauza ... Bugs Bunny / Daffy Duck / Marvin the Martian / Tweety (voice)
Kath Soucie ... Lola Bunny (voice)
"Rugrats Go Wild" , "Winnie the Pooh"
Xosha Roquemore ... Shanice
"G.B.F." , "Brian Banks"
Who's making Space Jam: A New Legacy: Crew List
Watch: Space Jam: A New Legacy Trailers & Videos
Production: What we know about Space Jam: A New Legacy?
- The film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures. It will be released in theaters nationwide on July 16, 2021 and will be available in the U.S. on HBO Max for 31 days from theatrical release (4/3/2021).
- The director’s behind-the-scenes creative team includes director of photography Salvatore Totino (“Spider-Man: Homecoming”), animation producer Troy Nethercott (“Wonder Park”), production designers Kevin Ishioka (“The Mule”), Akin McKenzie (Netflix’s “When They See Us”) and Clint Wallace (upcoming “Eternals”), editor Bob Ducsay (“Godzilla: King of the Monsters,” “Star Wars Episode VIII – The Last Jedi”) and costume designer Melissa Bruning (“Rampage,” “War for the Planet of the Apes”). The music is by Kris Bowers (“Greenbook,” Netflix’s “Bridgerton”).
- Malcom D. Lee (“Girls Trip,” “Night School”) directs from a screenplay by Juel Taylor & Tony Rettenmaier & Keenan Coogler & Terence Nance. The film’s producers are Ryan Coogler, LeBron James, Maverick Carter and Duncan Henderson, and the executive producers are Sev Ohanian, Zinzi Coogler, Allison Abbate, Jesse Ehrman, Jamal Henderson, Spencer Beighley, Justin Lin, Terence Nance and Ivan Reitman.
- A direct sequel to 1996's Space Jam. This time around, NBA player LeBron James toplines the film.
- NBA players Klay Thompson, Anthony Davis, Damian Lillard and Kyle Kuzma; as well as WNBA players Diana Taurasi, Nneka Ogwumike and Chiney Ogwumike, will all be seen in the film (10/15/19).
- The film will shoot in Los Angeles, California (11/22/18).
- LeBron James was most recently seen in Amy Schumer's comedy Trainwreck (2015).
- This will be a mix of live action and CGI animation.
- October 2019: The film was in Post-Production status.
- July 2019: The film was in Production status.
- September 2018: The film was in Pre-Production status.
- May 2016: The film was in Development status.
- February 2014: The film was in Development status.
Principal photography began on June 25, 2019 (during the NBA off-season) and production wrapped on September 14, 2019. Surprisingly, director Terence Nance left the project during filming for creative differences and was quickly replaced by Malcolm D. Lee (Night School, Girls Trip).
Terence Nance, who created HBO's Random Acts of Flyness, is on-board to direct.
Justin Lin, Andrew Dodge and Alfredo Botello are scripting. Lin (Fast & Furious 6) will likely direct.
Warner Bros. is moving forward with a sequel to 1996 animated/live-action hit Space Jam.
Space Jam: A New Legacy Release Date: When is the film coming out?
Space Jam: A New Legacy is coming out in 2021 on Friday, July 16, 2021 (Nationwide release). There are 5 other movies coming out on the same date, including Cinderella, The Night House and Die in a Gunfight.