An epic action adventure that pits Godzilla against some of the most popular monsters in pop culture history.
U.S. Release DateGodzilla: King of the Monsters release date is set for Friday, May 31, 2019. This will be a Nationwide in theaters release. 3D/2D, IMAX
Cast more cast
Rating MPAAPG-13 for sequences of monster action violence and destruction, and for some language
Storylines 4 more
The new story follows the heroic efforts of the crypto-zoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah. When these ancient super-species—thought to be mere myths—rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity’s very existence hanging in the balance.
official plot version from warnerbros.com
Trivia & Production Notes
- Sequel to the 2014 film.
- Monarch, the human organization that uncovered Godzilla in the 2014 film, will expand their mission across multiple releases, including 2020's Godzilla vs. Kong.
- Shortly following Legendary's pact with Universal Pictures, Legendary acquired rights to additional classic characters from Toho's Godzilla universe, including Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah. This paved the way for developing a franchise centered around Monarch and anchored by Godzilla, King Kong, and other famous creatures.
- Gareth Edwards, who was on-board to direct, has exited Godzilla 2. No start date has been determined yet. (Deadline.com, 5/13/16).
- Kyle Chandler will play Millie Bobby Brown’s father in the sequel (Variety, 2/21/17).
- Sources tell Variety that Watanabe is the only original cast member likely to return for the second installment (Variety, 3/27/17).
- Thomas Middleditch had a small cameo in Kong: Skull Island (2017) voicing an off-camera character (Variety, 5/31/17).
Also Known As
- Godzilla 2
- Monday, June 19 2017: Atlanta, Georgia, United States