2018 | Adventure Family
Set in Depression-era London of the 1930s, Mary Poppins Returns sees Michael and Jane Banks (Whishaw and Mortimer) now grown up. After Michael suffers a personal loss, Mary Poppins re-enters the lives... more
In Movie Theaters U.S. Tuesday, December 25
Set in Depression-era London of the 1930s, Mary Poppins Returns sees Michael and Jane Banks (Whishaw and Mortimer) now grown up. After Michael suffers a personal loss, Mary Poppins re-enters the lives of the Banks family and, along with the street lamplighter Jack (Miranda), uses her unique magical skills to help the family rediscover the joy and wonder missing in their lives.
Trivia & Production Notes
- Songwriting team Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman (Hairspray) will compose new original songs and a new score.
- The film will be released more than five decades after the 1964 classic film first played in theaters (5/31/16).
- “I am truly humbled and honored to be asked by Disney to bring P.L. Travers’ further adventures to the screen," director Rob Marshall said in a statement (5/31/16). "The iconic original film means so much to me personally, and I look forward to creating an original movie musical that can bring Mary Poppins, and her message that childlike wonder can be found in even the most challenging of times, to a whole new generation."
- Miranda will play the role of Jack the lamplighter, a new character (5/31/16).
- Meryl Streep will play Topsy, Poppins’ cousin (7/28/16).
- The original film’s co-star, Dick Van Dyke, who is 91, is also set to appear (2/12/17).
Also Known As
Questions & Answers Have a question about this movie? Ask it!