The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes movie production status is currently Production
July 8, 2022 • Finalizing production budget, filming the movie begins
A Hunger Games prequel that takes place decades before Katniss Everdeen’s adventures.
Friday, November 17, 2023 (Nationwide)
Plot: What's the story about?
Years before he would become the tyrannical President of Panem, 18-year-old Coriolanus Snow (Blyth) is the last hope for his fading lineage, a once-proud family that has fallen from grace in a post-war Capitol. With the 10th annual Hunger Games fast approaching, the young Snow is alarmed when he is assigned to mentor Lucy Gray Baird (Zegler), the girl tribute from impoverished District 12. But, after Lucy Gray commands all of Panem’s attention by defiantly singing during the reaping ceremony, Snow thinks he might be able to turn the odds in their favor. Uniting their instincts for showmanship and newfound political savvy, Snow and Lucy’s race against time to survive will ultimately reveal who is a songbird, and who is a snake.
official plot version
Poll: Will you see The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes?
Who stars in The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: Cast List
Tom Blyth ... Young Coriolanus Snow
Rachel Zegler ... Lucy Gray Baird
Shazam! Fury of the Gods, Spellbound
Hunter Schafer ... Tigris Snow
Josh Andrés Rivera ... Sejanus Plinth
West Side Story
Jason Schwartzman ... Lucretius “Lucky” Flickerman
There There, Fantastic Mr. Fox
Who's making The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: Crew List
A look at the The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes behind-the-scenes crew and production team. The film's director Francis Lawrence last directed Red Sparrow and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2. The film's writer Michael Arndt last wrote Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Candace Against the Universe and The Greatest Showman.
Watch: The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes Trailers & Videos
Production: What we know about The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes?
- Jason Schwartzman will play Lucretius “Lucky” Flickerman, the host of the 10th Hunger Games and ancestor to Caesar Flickerman (7/4/2022).
- Josh Andrés Rivera will play Sejanus Plinth, a close friend of young Coriolanus Snow, and the mentor to a tribute from District 2 (6/26/2022).
- Jim Miller, the Lionsgate executive who has served as the studio's project executive on all of the franchise's films, will oversee the production (5/9/2020).
- Author Suzanne Collins will write the film's treatment and Michael Arndt, the Oscar-winning screenwriter of Little Miss Sunshine and a nominee for his work on Toy Story 3, will adapt the screenplay, after previously serving as one of the writers of Catching Fire (5/9/2020).
- Lionsgate has re-enlisted several members of the franchise's creative team and some of the industry's most sought-after filmmakers. Color Force's Nina Jacobson, who has produced all of the films in the franchise, will produce the film adaptation of the new novel along with her partner Brad Simpson, who will also be involved in a producorial capacity. Francis Lawrence, who directed Catching Fire, Mockingjay Part 1, and Mockingjay Part 2, will return to the director's chair (5/9/2020).
- One of the most eagerly awaited publishing events of the year, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes will be published by Scholastic simultaneously in print, digital and audio formats in the US, Canada, the UK and Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand on May 19 (5/9/2020).
- As Suzanne Collin's is planning a May 2020 release of her prequel novel, the studio is "working closely with her on the movie".
- As Lionsgate entertainment vice chairman Michael Burns said, "The one thing that kids say they missed (from the early Hunger Games films) was there was no arenas. If we went backwards there obviously would be arenas." He was referencing the stadiums where children killed each other and noting the prior films only covered the 74th and 75th competitions (Hollywood Reporter, 12/8/15).
- July 2022: The film was in Production status.
- April 2020: The film was in Pre-Production status.
Francis Lawrence attached to direct and Michael Arndt to pen the project.
- June 2019: The film was in Development status.
- December 2015: The film was in Announced status.
Lionsgate entertainment vice chairman Michael Burns compares Hunger Games to Harry Potter and says it will "live on and on and on" with prequels.
The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes Release Date: When is the film coming out?
The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is coming out in 2023 on Friday, November 17, 2023 (Nationwide release). There are 2 other movies coming out on the same date, including Trolls 3: The Trollstopia and Dune: Part Two.