Disney’s Newsies: The Broadway Musical! MovieTabs
The musical is a fictionalized telling of the real-life 1899 New York City newsboy strike.
U.S. Release DateDisney’s Newsies: The Broadway Musical! release date was Thursday, February 16, 2017. This was a Limited in theaters release. 1 Night Only, 7:00 p.m. (local time)
Saturday, February 18, 2017. This was a Limited in theaters release. 1 Night Only, 12:55 p.m. (local time)
Saturday, August 5, 2017. This was a Limited in theaters release.
Wednesday, August 9, 2017. This was a Limited in theaters release.
Cast more cast
Rating MPAAPG for some language, mild action and smoking images
Set in New York City at the turn of the century and based on a true story, Newsies is the rousing tale of Jack Kelly, a charismatic newsboy and leader of a ragged band of teenaged ‘newsies,’ who dreams only of a better life far from the hardship of the streets. But when publishing titans Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst raise distribution prices at the newsboys’ expense, Jack finds a cause to fight for and rallies newsies from across the city to strike and take a stand for what’s right.
official plot version from fathomevents.com
Trivia & Production Notes
- The 2011 Tony-winning show
- Filmed live on stage at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood, CA, this not-to-be-missed high energy show stars Original Broadway cast members Jeremy Jordan as “Jack Kelly,” Kara Lindsay as “Katherine,” Ben Fankhauser as “Davey” and Andrew Keenan-Bolger as “Crutchie”. They’re joined by North American Tour stars Steve Blanchard as “Joseph Pulitzer,” and Aisha de Haas as “Medda Larkin,” and Ethan Steiner as “Les” along with members of both the Broadway and North American Tour ensembles, filling the stage with more “newsies” and more dancing than ever before.
- Features a Tony Award-winning score with music by eight-time Academy Award® winner Alan Menken and lyrics by Jack Feldman, a book by four time Tony Award winner Harvey Fierstein and is produced by Disney Theatrical Productions, Newies is directed by Tony nominee Jeff Calhoun and choreographed by Christopher Gattelli, who won a 2012 Tony Award for his work on the show.
- “From the very beginning, the stage adaptation of Newsies has had an exciting and entirely unexpected journey, propelled by the show’s passionate fan base,” said Thomas Schumacher, president and producer, Disney Theatrical Productions. “We are thrilled to be working with Fathom Events, and to have Tony-nominee, Jeremy Jordan and members of the original Broadway company join the North American touring cast as we take Newsies on its next exciting chapter, reaching new audiences around the country.” - See more at: http://press.fathomevents.com/press-release/arts-and-entertainment/tickets-disneys-newsies-broadway-musical-now-sale-smash-hit-com#sthash.g2uKjWzU.dpuf
- Due to an immensely successful and record-breaking cinematic debut, “Disney’s Newsies: The Broadway Musical!” returns to movie theaters nationwide for a two-day encore presentation (NCM/Fathom Events, 6/16/17).