drug use throughout, sexual content, graphic nudity, language and some violence RESTRICTED
Plot: What's the story about?
When private eye Doc Sportello’s ex-old lady suddenly out of nowhere shows up with a story about her current billionaire land developer boyfriend whom she just happens to be in love with, and a plot by his wife and her boyfriend to kidnap that billionaire and throw him in a loony bin…well, easy for her to say.
It’s the tail end of the psychedelic '60s and paranoia is running the day and Doc knows that "love" is another of those words going around at the moment, like “trip” or “groovy,” that’s being way too overused—except this one usually leads to trouble.
With a cast of characters that includes surfers, hustlers, dopers and rockers, a murderous loan shark, LAPD Detectives, a tenor sax player working undercover, and a mysterious entity known as the Golden Fang, which may only be a tax dodge set up by some dentists... Part surf noir, part psychedelic romp—all Thomas Pynchon.
official plot version from trailers.apple.com
3.17 / 5 stars (30 users)
Poll: Will you see Inherent Vice?
Who stars in Inherent Vice: Cast List
Joaquin Phoenix ... Larry 'Doc' Sportello
"C'mon C'mon" , "Disappointment Blvd."
Josh Brolin ... Bigfoot Bjornsen
"Dune" , "Flag Day"
Reese Witherspoon ... Penny
"Sing 2" , "Legally Blonde 3"
Owen Wilson ... Coy Harlingen
"The French Dispatch" , "Marry Me"
Martin Short ... Dr. Blatnoyd
"The Willoughbys" , "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted"
Jena Malone ... Hope Harlingen
"Donnie Darko" , "Five Star Day"
"Babylon" , "Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore"
Peter McRobbie ... Adrian Prussia
Sasha Pieterse ... Japonica Fenway
"Ivy & Bean"
Benicio Del Toro ... Sauncho Smilax
"The French Dispatch" , "Savages"
Maya Rudolph ... Petunia Leeway
"Licorice Pizza" , "Disenchanted"
Yvette Yates ... Luz
Who's making Inherent Vice: Crew List
A look at the Inherent Vice behind-the-scenes crew and production team. The film's director Paul Thomas Anderson last directed Phantom Thread and The Master. The film's writer Paul Thomas Anderson last wrote Phantom Thread and The Master.
ProducersPaul Thomas Anderson
Production: What we know about Inherent Vice?
- Anderson's behind-the-scenes creative team included Oscar-winning director of photography Robert Elswit ("There Will Be Blood"), production designer David Crank ("The Master"), Oscar-nominated editor Leslie Jones ("The Thin Red Line"), and Oscar-winning costume designer Mark Bridges ("The Artist"). The music is by Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood.
- The seventh feature from Paul Thomas Anderson and the first ever film adaption of a Thomas Pynchon novel.
- September 2014: The film was in Completed status.
- February 2014: The film was in Post-Production status.
- January 2013: The film was in Pre-Production status.
- February 2011: The film was in Development status.
- December 2010: The film was in Announced status.
Production will begin summer 2013.
May shoot in fall 2011
Inherent Vice Release Date: When was the film released?
Inherent Vice was released in 2014 on Friday, December 12, 2014 (Nationwide release). There were 4 other movies released on the same date, including Exodus: Gods and Kings, Top Five and After the Fall.
When will the movie be on Blu-ray & DVD?Tuesday, April 28, 2015
Released; Now Available Buy | Rent Now