The story of the special bond between an orphaned boy, Pete, and his best friend, Elliott, who just happens to be a dragon.
U.S. Release DatePete's Dragon release date was Friday, August 12, 2016. This was a Nationwide in theaters release. 2D/3D
Tuesday, November 29, 2016
Released; Now Available Buy | Rent Now
Cast more cast
Rating MPAAPG for action, peril and brief language
Storylines 3 more
For years, old wood carver Mr. Meacham (Robert Redford) has delighted local children with his tales of the fierce dragon that resides deep in the woods of the Pacific Northwest. To his daughter, Grace (Bryce Dallas Howard), who works as a forest ranger, these stories are little more than tall tales…until she meets Pete (Oakes Fegley). Pete is a mysterious 10-year-old with no family and no home who claims to live in the woods with a giant, green dragon named Elliott. And from Pete’s descriptions, Elliott seems remarkably similar to the dragon from Mr. Meacham’s stories. With the help of Natalie (Oona Laurence), an 11-year-old girl whose father Jack (Wes Bentley) owns the local lumber mill, Grace sets out to determine where Pete came from, where he belongs, and the truth about this dragon.
official plot version from disney.com
Trivia & Production Notes
- Remake of the 1977 film of the same name. It will not be a musical. Said to be "a reimagining of Disney’s cherished family film".
- The project will be live-action with CGI used for the dragon.
- Robert Redford will play a local who tells tall-tales involving dragons that no one believes.
- The production begins shooting in and around Wellington before moving north to the Rotorua area, and will complete principal photography in the South Island communities of Tapanui and Invercargill.
- The film stars Bryce Dallas Howard as Grace, a park ranger who discovers the existence of Elliott; 10-year-old Oakes Fegley as Pete; Wes Bentley as Jack, a local mill owner; New Zealand native Karl Urban as Jack's brother, Gavin; Oona Laurence as Natalie, the young girl who befriends Pete; and Robert Redford as Grace's father.