Chicken Run 2 movie production status is currently Production
February 27, 2021 • Finalizing production budget, filming the movie begins. Shooting starts March 1, 2021.
Plot: What's the story about?
Follow-up focuses on Ginger, now living in a human-free chicken paradise. Ginger and Rocky hatch an egg together and daughter Molly is born. The girl grows up quickly and Molly begins to outgrow the island. At the same time, rumors start to float of a new and terrible threat on the mainland, forcing Ginger to rally her troops and take a stand.
Poll: Will you see Chicken Run 2?
Who stars in Chicken Run 2: Cast List
No cast available.
Who's making Chicken Run 2: Crew List
A look at the Chicken Run 2 behind-the-scenes crew and production team. The film's director Sam Fell last directed ParaNorman and The Tale of Despereaux. The film's writer Karey Kirkpatrick last wrote Smurfs: The Lost Village and The Secret World of Arrietty.
Watch: Chicken Run 2 Trailers & Videos
Production: What we know about Chicken Run 2?
- Actress Julia Sawalha, who voiced Ginger in the original film, has reportedly been axed from the project and will be recast (Variety, 7/10/2020). As she says, “To say that I am devastated and furious would be an understatement. I feel totally powerless, something in all of this doesn’t quite ring true. I trust my instincts and they are waving red flags.” According to Sawalha, she speculated it was because her voice now sounds “too old” after receiving a letter of dismissal. Such action appears to also suggest Mel Gibson will not be returning as the voice of Rocky.
- As Executive producer Peter Lord explained, “We’ve got the perfect story, and the relationship with Netflix is kind of perfect as well because they celebrate the filmmaker and are so filmmaker friendly. I feel now we can make the Chicken Run sequel we want to, the one we really care about (8/16/2020).”
- Chicken Run remains the highest-grossing stop-motion animated film of all time (8/16/2020).
- Variety reports Chicken Run 2 will likely go into production at Aardman's studio in Bristol after it wraps on Shaun the Sheep sequel (4/26/18).
- February 2021: The film was in Production status.
- August 2020: The film was in Pre-Production status.
- April 2018: The film was in Pre-Production status.
Shooting starts March 1, 2021.
Shooting is planned for next year. Netflix has picked up the rights to the project.
Aardman Animation is working on a sequel to the hit 2000 stop-animation film.