2018 | Comedy Thriller
A puppet detective is forced to solve a string of murders around the "Happytime Gang", the cast of a popular children's show. It will aim for a R-rating. more
In Movie Theaters U.S. Friday, August 17
Dee Austin Robertson
The puppet stars of an iconic TV show The Happytime Gang are some of the biggest celebrities around. But off camera, the family-friendly cast leads the kinds of lives that would make a tabloid writer blush. When the stars of The Happytime Gang begin to be mysteriously murdered, two mismatched detectives – one a type-A, take-no-prisoners human with a secret, and the other a crass, hard-drinking puppet with a connection to one of the victims – must put aside their huge differences to stop the killings and catch the culprit, all the while trying to resist the temptation to murder each other.
modified plot formulation from deadline.com
Trivia & Production Notes
- The film will be a live-action hybrid.
- “This is as unique a screenplay as we have seen in a long time, with relatable characters and a fantastic story,” said Adam Fogelson, who is chairman of the STX Entertainment Motion Picture Group. “This project is a daring and original R-rated comedy with a distinctive voice that is completely unconventional and fun.”
- Jamie Foxx will play Detective Edwards, a LAPD cop who must re-team with his former partner Phil, a drinker and philanderer. Together they try to solve the murders (Deadline.com, 4/27/16).
- Melissa McCarthy will play the lead. As she explains, “When a really good script combines puppet strippers, Los Angeles’ underbelly and comedy, it’s like my fever dream has finally come true (STXfilms, 5/2/17).”
- September 2017: Los Angeles, California, United States
Questions & Answers Have a question about this movie? Ask it!