The new journey begins when Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson) receives a coded distress signal from a mysterious island where no island should exist — a place of strange life forms, mountains of gold,... more
In Movie Theaters U.S.Friday, February 10, 2012 in 3,470 theaters
Tuesday, June 5, 2012
Released; Now Available Buy | Rent Now
Cast more cast
Rating MPAAPG for some adventure action, and brief mild language
Storylines 3 more
The new journey begins when Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson) receives a coded distress signal from a mysterious island where no island should exist — a place of strange life forms, mountains of gold, deadly volcanoes, and more than one astonishing secret. The secret is rumored to involve Sean's missing grandfather, Alexander Anderson (Michael Caine). Unable to stop him from going, Sean's new stepfather (Dwayne Johnson) joins the quest. Together with a helicopter pilot (Luis Guzman) and his beautiful, strong-willed daughter (Vanessa Hudgens), they set out to find the island, rescue its lone inhabitant and escape before seismic shockwaves force the island under the sea and bury its treasures forever.
Trivia & Production Notes
- Follow-up to the 2008 worldwide hit Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D. The script is loosely based on Jules Verne's "The Mysterious Island." Since Brendan Fraser withdrew as the film's star, the sequel was being reworked to make Josh Hutcherson as the lead character. Fraser played Prof. Trevor Anderson in the original, and Hutcherson played his nephew, Sean. Beginning in January 2011, production will move to Wilmington, North Carolina, to finish shooting after the holiday hiatus, and is scheduled to wrap principal photography in February 2011.
Also Known As
- Travels: The Lost Map of Treasure Island
- Journey to the Center of the Earth 2
- Journey to the Mysterious Island
- October 2010: North Carolina, United States
- October 2010: Hawaii, United States