Plot: What's the story about?
Follows Ben, a retired writer who becomes a caregiver after suffering a personal tragedy. After 6 weeks of training, Ben meets his first client, Trevor, a foul-mouthed 18-year-old with muscular dystrophy. One paralyzed emotionally, one paralyzed physically, Ben and Trevor take an impromptu road trip to all the places Trevor has become obsessed with while watching the local news, including their holy grail: the World's Deepest Pit. Along the way, they pick up a sassy runaway and a mother-to-be who help test the pair’s survival skills outside of their calculated existence as they come to understand the importance of hope and true friendship.
official plot version from netflix.com
4.00 / 5 stars (7 users)
Poll: Will you see The Fundamentals of Caring?
Who stars in The Fundamentals of Caring: Cast List
Selena Gomez ... Dot
"Hotel Transylvania: Transformania" , "The Dead Don't Die"
Paul Rudd ... Ben
"Ghostbusters: Afterlife" , "Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania"
Jennifer Ehle ... Elsa
"Monster" , "The King's Speech"
Craig Roberts ... Trevor
"The First Time" , "22 Jump Street"
Megan Ferguson ... Peaches
Who's making The Fundamentals of Caring: Crew List
A look at the The Fundamentals of Caring behind-the-scenes crew and production team. The film's director Rob Burnett last directed Untitled Rob Burnett/Jon Beckerman Teen Project. The film's writer Rob Burnett last wrote Untitled Rob Burnett/Jon Beckerman Teen Project and Dashing Through the Snow.
Watch: The Fundamentals of Caring Trailers & Videos
Production: What we know about The Fundamentals of Caring?
- Netflix snapped up the title’s SVOD rights for an estimated $7M.
- The closing night film at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival.
- Based on the 2012 novel by Jonathan Evison. As director/screenwriter Rob Burnett explains, "When I read Jonathan's novel I was thoroughly impressed by his careful and skillful handling of such delicate material. In lesser hands the book would have been maudlin, but Jonathan miraculously infuses a heartbreaking story with inspiration, hope and even comedy. I am honored and flattered that he trusts me to bring his work to the screen."
- May 2016: The film was in Completed status.
- October 2015: The film was in Post-Production status.
- October 2012: The film was in Development status.
- October 2012: The film was in Announced status.
Worldwide Pants, Rob Burnett and Jon Beckerman have secured big-screen rights to Jonathan Evison’s novel. "Late Show With David Letterman" exec producer Rob Burnett will adapt and direct the film.
The Fundamentals of Caring Release Date: When was the film released?
The Fundamentals of Caring was released in 2016 on Friday, June 24, 2016 (VOD / Digital release). There were 11 other movies released on the same date, including Independence Day Resurgence, Free State of Jones and The Shallows. Netflix Only