Lara Croft is the fiercely independent daughter of an eccentric adventurer who vanished when she was scarcely a teen. Now a young woman of 21 without any real focus or purpose, Lara navigates the ch... more
Release DateU.S.Tomb Raider was released on
Friday, March 16, 2018 Nationwide Release
Cast more cast
Rating MPAAPG-13 for sequences of violence and action, and for some language
Storylines 5 more
Lara Croft is the fiercely independent daughter of an eccentric adventurer who vanished when she was scarcely a teen. Now a young woman of 21 without any real focus or purpose, Lara navigates the chaotic streets of trendy East London as a bike courier, barely making the rent, and takes college courses, rarely making it to class. Determined to forge her own path, she refuses to take the reins of her father’s global empire just as staunchly as she rejects the idea that he’s truly gone. Advised to face the facts and move forward after seven years without him, even Lara can’t understand what drives her to finally solve the puzzle of his mysterious death.
Going explicitly against his final wishes, she leaves everything she knows behind in search of her dad’s last-known destination: a fabled tomb on a mythical island that might be somewhere off the coast of Japan. But her mission will not be an easy one; just reaching the island will be extremely treacherous. Suddenly, the stakes couldn’t be higher for Lara, who—against the odds and armed with only her sharp mind, blind faith and inherently stubborn spirit—must learn to push herself beyond her limits as she journeys into the unknown. If she survives this perilous adventure, it could be the making of her, earning her the name tomb raider.
official plot version from warnerbros.com
Trivia & Production Notes
- Based on the video game franchise by Square Enix. The games have sold over 35 million units.
- Lu Ren (Daniel Wu) is a ship captain who partners with Croft on a quest to find her father (Variety, 1/11/17).
- Croft’s father, Lord Richard Croft (to be played by Dominic West), is a key figure in the Raider mythos and is an aristocrat and archeologist (Hollywood Reporter, 1/27/17).
- The reboot is very much more an origin story than the Angelina Jolie version. As Alicia Vikander explained to uproxx.com, "[This] is more of an origin story. You get into an emotional aspect of getting to know Lara hopefully in an in-depth way. So I hope that doing a film of the rebooted game will bring something new and fresh that'll stand on its own two legs (7/9/16)."
- The music is by Tom Holkenborg (Mad Max: Fury Road).
Also Known As
- Lara Croft Reboot