Tells the imaginative story of a young girl and the Giant who introduces her to the wonders and perils of Giant Country.
Friday, July 1, 2016 (Nationwide)
action/peril, some scary moments and brief rude humor PARENTAL GUIDANCE SUGGESTED
Plot: What's the story about?
The BFG (Mark Rylance), while a giant himself, is a Big Friendly Giant and nothing like the other inhabitants of Giant Country. Standing 24-feet tall with enormous ears and a keen sense of smell, he is endearingly dim-witted and keeps to himself for the most part. Giants like Bloodbottler (Bill Hader) and Fleshlumpeater (Jemaine Clement) on the other hand, are twice as big and at least twice as scary and have been known to eat humans, while the BFG prefers Snozzcumber and Frobscottle. Upon her arrival in Giant Country, Sophie, a precocious 10-year-old girl from London, is initially frightened of the mysterious giant who has brought her to his cave, but soon comes to realize that the BFG is actually quite gentle and charming, and, having never met a giant before, has many questions. The BFG brings Sophie to Dream Country where he collects dreams and sends them to children, teaching her all about the magic and mystery of dreams.
Having both been on their own in the world up until now, their affection for one another quickly grows. But Sophie’s presence in Giant Country has attracted the unwanted attention of the other giants, who have become increasingly more bothersome. Says Spielberg, “It’s a story about friendship, it’s a story about loyalty and protecting your friends and it’s a story that shows that even a little girl can help a big giant solve his biggest problems.” Sophie and the BFG soon depart for London to see Queen Victoria (Penelope Wilton) and warn her of the precarious giant situation, but they must first convince the Queen and her maid, Mary (Rebecca Hall), that giants do indeed exist. Together, they come up with a plan to get rid of the giants once and for all.
official plot version from disney.com
3.55 / 5 stars (55 users)
Poll: Will you see The BFG?
Who stars in The BFG: Cast List
Ruby Barnhill ... Sophie
"Mary and the Witch's Flower"
Mark Rylance ... Big Friendly Giant
"Don't Look Up" , "The Outfit"
Rebecca Hall ... Mary
"The Night House" , "Godzilla vs. Kong"
"Despicable Me" , "Moana"
Bill Hader ... Giant
"The Addams Family 2 " , "The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Her"
Penelope Wilton ... The Queen
"Zoo" , "Summerland"
"The Special Relationship" , "The X-Files: I Want to Believe"
Who's making The BFG: Crew List
Watch: The BFG Trailers & Videos
Production: What we know about The BFG?
- "In more than 40 years of making movies, I have been on the producing end of a number of films for The Walt Disney Company, but never as a director," said Steven Spielberg. "It is a special joy to be in the director's chair as we start 'The BFG,' alongside my long-time friends and film collaborators Kathy Kennedy, who introduced me to this project, Frank Marshall and Melissa Mathison. Together with them and Disney, there are many reasons why I am so excited about this joint venture."
- This marks Steven Spielberg’s first time directing a Disney-branded movie.
- The Walt Disney Company is distributing the film in the U.S. and select international territories while Mister Smith Entertainment is handling distribution in Europe, Africa and the Middle East. DreamWorks' partner, Reliance, will distribute the film in India.
- BFG's budget is said to be in the $100 million to $125 million range.
- Adapted from Roald Dahl's 1982 novel, which was illustrated by Quentin Blake.
- June 2016: The film was in Completed status.
- November 2015: The film was in Post-Production status.
- January 2015: The film was in Production status.
- May 2014: The film was in Pre-Production status.
- September 2011: The film was in Announced status.
- September 2011: The film was in Development status.
Principal photography on the film began on March 23, 2015 in Vancouver and ended on June 12, 2015. Weta Digital is working on the film's visual effects.
Production underway in Vancouver.
DreamWorks acquired the rights to the book in 2010 after Kathleen Kennedy brought it to the company.
The BFG Release Date: When was the film released?
The BFG was released in 2016 on Friday, July 1, 2016 (Nationwide release). There were 6 other movies released on the same date, including The Legend of Tarzan, The Purge: Election Year and Carnage Park. 2D/3D
When will the movie be on Blu-ray & DVD?Tuesday, November 29, 2016
Released; Now Available Buy | Rent Now