Eddie Redmayne return as Newt Scamander to take on Gellert Grindelwald, the dark wizard played by Johnny Depp
U.S. Release DateFantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald release date was Friday, November 16, 2018. This was a Nationwide in theaters release. 2D/3D, IMAX
On DVD & Blu-ray Estimated; not officialMarch 2019
Cast more cast
Rating MPAAPG-13 for some sequences of fantasy action
Storylines 3 more
The sequel takes place in 1920s Paris, shortly after Newt Scamander’s capture of Grindelwald at the end of the first installment. Returning for the sequel are the characters Tina (Katherine Waterston), Queenie (Alison Sudol), and Jacob (Dan Fogler). See notes below for spoilers.
paraphrased plot formulation from variety.com
Trivia & Production Notes
- Wizarding world creator J.K. Rowling, who made her screenwriting debut on the first film, is scripting the sequel (8/3/16).
- Producer David Heyman teased that the second movie in the follow-up series will be set in another global capital city - he didn't reveal which one yet (Deadline.com, 10/13/16).
- Zoë Kravitz is expected to have a bigger role in this film (Variety, 8/10/16).
- Deadline.com reports Johnny Depp may have a brief role in the first film, due out in a few weeks (11/2/16).
- Jude Law will portray Dumbledore before he becomes the Headmaster at Hogwarts -- he will the wizarding school’s Transfiguration professor (Deadline.com, 4/12/17).
- Callum Turner is in talks to play Newt Scamander’s brother (Variety, 4/21/17).
- The film is set in London and Paris with some "surprising nods" to the Harry Potter films (Hollywood Reporter, 7/3/17).
- ** SPOILERS AHEAD >>> ** The official plot: “Grindelwald has made a dramatic escape and has been gathering more followers to his cause – elevating wizards above all non-magical beings. The only one who might be able to stop him is the wizard he once called his dearest friend, Albus Dumbledore. But Dumbledore will need help from the wizard who had thwarted Grindelwald once before, his former student Newt Scamander (Warner Bros., 7/4/17).”
- This will be the second in a planned five-film franchise (Hollywood Reporter, 7/4/17).
- ** SPOILERS AHEAD >>> ** The updated official plot: At the end of the first film, the powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald (Depp) was captured by MACUSA (Magical Congress of the United States of America), with the help of Newt Scamander (Redmayne). But, making good on his threat, Grindelwald escaped custody and has set about gathering followers, most unsuspecting of his true agenda: to raise pure-blood wizards up to rule over all non-magical beings. In an effort to thwart Grindelwald’s plans, Albus Dumbledore (Law) enlists his former student Newt Scamander, who agrees to help, unaware of the dangers that lie ahead. Lines are drawn as love and loyalty are tested, even among the truest friends and family, in an increasingly divided wizarding world (Warner Bros., 11/17/17).
Also Known As
- Untitled WB Event Film
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 2