The beginning of a new Star Wars trilogy will take place 30 years after Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. The new films will feature "a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces" (per ... more
In Movie Theaters U.S.Friday, December 18, 2015 Nationwide Release
Coming Soon (18 days to go!) Watch Trailer
Rating MPAAPG-13 for sci-fi action violence
Storylines 3 more
The beginning of a new Star Wars trilogy will take place 30 years after Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. The new films will feature "a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces" (per StarWars.com).
official plot version from disney.com
- Disney has noted that George Lucas will serve as a consultant moving forward, and has already consulted for "the first trilogy starting in 2015." But "his intention is to retire."
- Kathleen Kennedy, President of Lucasfilm, will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Also consulting on the project are Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. Kasdan has a long history with Lucasfilm, as screenwriter on The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the Jedi. Kinberg was writer on Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
- Toy Story 3 screenwriter Michael Arndt has written a 40- to 50-page treatment for the film and is likely to be at least one of the writers when the Disney/Lucasfilm project begins shooting in 2014 (Vulture, 11-9-12). Said to focus on a new generation of heroes and could feature appearances by Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher in older incarnations of their beloved characters from the original Star Wars trilogy.
- Sequel to the 1983 film Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi.
- J.J. Abrams directed the 2009 Star Trek reboot and its upcoming sequel. He said in October that he wasn't interested in taking on Star Wars, but the director is said to have changed his mind about the project (Hollywood Reporter; 1-24-2013).
- R2-D2 and C-3PO would be the only characters who might continue through all nine films (Lucas in 1980, 1981 and 1983). The trilogy would deal with the rebuilding of the Republic (Lucas in 1980).
Also Known As
- Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens