Friday, December 18, 2015 (Nationwide)
Runtime: 2 hrs, 16 m
Plot: What's the story about?
The beginning of a new Star Wars trilogy will take place 30 years after Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. The new films will feature "a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces" (per StarWars.com).
official plot version from disney.com
4.40 / 5 stars (272 users)
Poll: Will you see Star Wars: The Force Awakens?
Cast: Who stars in it?
- Anthony Daniels
- Andy Serkis
- Domhnall Gleeson
- Oscar Isaac
- Max von Sydow
Crew: Who's making Star Wars: The Force Awakens
A look at the Star Wars: The Force Awakens behind-the-scenes crew and production team. The film's director J.J. Abrams last directed Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker and Star Trek Into Darkness. The film's writer Lawrence Kasdan last wrote Solo: A Star Wars Story and Darling Companion.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailers & Videos
Production: What we know about Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- R2-D2 and C-3PO would be the only characters who might continue through all nine films (Lucas in 1980, 1981 and 1983). The trilogy would deal with the rebuilding of the Republic (Lucas in 1980).
- J.J. Abrams directed the 2009 Star Trek reboot and its upcoming sequel. He said in October that he wasn't interested in taking on Star Wars, but the director is said to have changed his mind about the project (Hollywood Reporter; 1-24-2013).
- Sequel to the 1983 film Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi.
- Toy Story 3 screenwriter Michael Arndt has written a 40- to 50-page treatment for the film and is likely to be at least one of the writers when the Disney/Lucasfilm project begins shooting in 2014 (Vulture, 11-9-12). Said to focus on a new generation of heroes and could feature appearances by Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher in older incarnations of their beloved characters from the original Star Wars trilogy.
- Kathleen Kennedy, President of Lucasfilm, will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Also consulting on the project are Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. Kasdan has a long history with Lucasfilm, as screenwriter on The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the Jedi. Kinberg was writer on Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
- Disney has noted that George Lucas will serve as a consultant moving forward, and has already consulted for "the first trilogy starting in 2015." But "his intention is to retire."
On or about November 25, 2015, the film was in Completed status.
On or about November 10, 2014, the film was in Post-Production status.
Completed principal photography.
On or about April 11, 2014, the film was in Production status.
Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn revealed on April 2 that the new Star Wars had already begun filming and most of the cast was set.
On or about October 7, 2013, the film was in Pre-Production status.
Producer Bryan Burk stated that principal photography will likely commence in Spring 2014.
On or about November 10, 2012, the film was in Development status.
Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine screenwriter Michael Arndt will write the screenplay for the new Star Wars film. JJ Abrams will direct. Slated for a 2015 release.
On or about October 30, 2012, the film was in Announced status.
Upon purchase of Lucasfilm by Disney, the studio announced a targeted 2015 release date for Star Wars: Episode VII. Followed by additional Star Wars films every two to three years.
On or about October 24, 2010, the film was in Concept status.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Release Date: When was it released?
Star Wars: The Force Awakens was released in 2015 on Friday, December 18, 2015 (Nationwide release). There were 6 other movies released on the same date, including Sisters, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip and Mojin: The Lost Legend.
When will the movie be on Blu-ray & DVD?Tuesday, April 5, 2016
Released; Now Available Buy | Rent Now
DigitalFriday, April 1, 2016
Released; Watch Now! Buy | Rent Now
Questions: Asked About Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Looking for more information on Star Wars: The Force Awakens?
Check out the below links, may contain affiliate links.