Friday, December 16, 2016 (Nationwide)
Plot: What's the story about?
Following the formation of the Galactic Empire, a rogue band of resistance fighters unite for a daring mission to steal the Death Star plans.
modified plot formulation from hollywoodreporter.com
4.18 / 5 stars (78 users)
Poll: Will you see Rogue One: A Star Wars Story?
Who stars in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: Cast List
"The Amazing Spider-Man 2" , "Inferno"
"Exodus: Gods and Kings" , "Darkest Hour"
"Respect" , "Arrival"
"Contraband" , "The Bad Batch"
"Violent Talent" , "Venom"
"Mulan" , "xXx 3: The Return of Xander Cage"
Who's making Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: Crew List
A look at the Rogue One: A Star Wars Story behind-the-scenes crew and production team. The film's director Gareth Edwards last directed Godzilla and Monsters. The film's writer Gary Whitta last wrote After Earth and The Book of Eli.
Watch: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Trailers & Videos
Production: What we know about Rogue One: A Star Wars Story?
- Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy describes the movie as a World War II-style adventure (Variety, 11/22/16).
- The film will most likely will not begin with the usual narrative crawl detailing what's going on in a galaxy far, far away (11/25/16).
- This marks the first film in the series without a score by John Williams; Michael Giacchino (Jurassic World) composes the music (11/25/16).
- Lyra Erso is rumored to be the name of Felicity Jones' character. Three others have also reportedly joined the cast - Bern Collaco as a stormtrooper, Angus Cook as a mechanic, and Nabilah Karim in a samurai-style role (Making Star Wars, 1/5/16).
- To create the lived-in, realistic feel of Rogue One, Edwards chose Greig Fraser (Zero Dark Thirty, Foxcatcher) to be his director of photography and Neil Corbould (Black Hawk Down, Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan) to be his special effects supervisor. Star Wars and Lucasfilm veteran Doug Chiang (Star Wars: Episodes I-II, Forrest Gump) and Neil Lamont (supervising art director for the Harry Potter series, Edge of Tomorrow) will be the production designers. Additional crew members will include stunt coordinator Rob Inch (World War Z, Marvel’s Captain America: The First Avenger), creature effects supervisor Neal Scanlan (Prometheus) and co-costume designers Dave Crossman (costume supervisor for the Harry Potter series, Saving Private Ryan) and Glyn Dillon (costume concept artist for Kingsman: The Secret Service, Jupiter Ascending).
- “Rogue One takes place before the events of Star Wars: A New Hope and will be a departure from the saga films but have elements that are familiar to the Star Wars universe,” says Kathleen Kennedy. “It goes into new territory, exploring the galactic struggle from a ground-war perspective while maintaining that essential Star Wars feel that fans have come to know. Gareth is such an innovative director and I’m so excited to be working with him and the extraordinary ensemble cast he’s selected for Rogue One.”
- The film is set after Episode III and before Episode IV; the film won't have clear-cut villains and heroes. It's also very much a war film, per director Gareth Edwards.
- The idea for the story of Rogue One came from John Knoll, an Academy Award-winning visual effects supervisor and chief creative officer at Industrial Light & Magic.
- Hollywood Reporter speculated the film likely focuses on the early days of Princess Leia (February 2015).
- Slash Film thinks the plot will be about the bounty hunters, led by Boba Fett, attempting to steal the Death Star plans (January 2015).
- Tatiana Maslany, Rooney Mara, Kate Mara, and Felicity Jones are said to be testing for a role in the film, but character details have not been revealed (January 2015).
- Spinoff to the Star Wars films. Set shortly prior to the events of Star Wars (1977). This will be a stand-alone 3D film.
- Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm announced that Star Wars: Episode VII will hit theaters in the summer of 2015 and that every summer after that will offer a Star Wars film, alternating with one of the standalone films (November 2014).
- November 2016: The film was in Completed status.
- April 2016: The film was in Post-Production status.
- August 2015: The film was in Production status.
- March 2015: The film was in Pre-Production status.
- May 2014: The film was in Development status.
- April 2013: The film was in Announced status.
Principal photography began at Elstree Studios, near London during early August 2015.
Starts filming in London this summer.
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Release Date: When was the film released?
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was released in 2016 on Friday, December 16, 2016 (Nationwide release). There were 7 other movies released on the same date, including Collateral Beauty, La La Land and A Kind of Murder.
When will the movie be on Blu-ray & DVD?Tuesday, April 4, 2017
Released; Now Available Buy | Rent Now