Avatar 2 movie production status is currently Post-Production
April 18, 2019 • Filming completed; editing of shot film; music composition and recordings, as well as sound and visual effects being added.
Friday, December 16, 2022 (Nationwide)
Plot: What's the story about?
Avatar 2 will be set three years after the first film and focus on the lives of Jake (Sam Worthington) and Neytiri (Zoe Zaldana) as they explore the other moons of Polyphemus.
modified plot formulation from foxmovies.com
Poll: Will you see Avatar 2?
Cast: Who stars in it?
Crew: Who's making Avatar 2
A look at the Avatar 2 behind-the-scenes crew and production team. The film's director James Cameron last directed Avatar and Aliens of the Deep. The film's writer James Cameron last wrote Alita: Battle Angel and Sanctum.
Avatar 2 Trailers & Videos
Production: What we know about Avatar 2
- As Lightstorm Entertainment’s Jon Landau explains, "One of the strengths of great scripts are always the universal and relatable themes… There’s no more relatable theme than family. At the center of each of our four movies will be the Sully family. Each sequel will play as a stand-alone movie. Each movie’s story will come to its own conclusion… However, when looked at as a whole, the journey across all four movies will create an even larger connected epic saga for audiences around the world (CineEurope, 6/20/17).”
- Avatar future installments will take place underwater (Deadline.com, 5/8/17).
- Fear the Walking Dead‘s Cliff Curtis will play Tonowari, who is the leader of the Metkayina, the reef people clan (Deadline.com, 5/8/17).
- Originally pegged for Christmas 2018, the film has been delayed further (Hollywood Reporter, 3/10/17). As James Cameron explained, "Well, 2018 is not happening. We haven’t announced a firm release date. What people have to understand is that this is a cadence of releases. So, we’re not making Avatar 2, we’re making Avatar 2, 3, 4 and 5. It’s an epic undertaking. It’s not unlike building the Three Gorges dam."
- The Wrap (1/22/15) says Avatar 2 has been delayed "indefinitely." Meaning the original December 2017 release date is off the table.
- Chatting with Entertainment Weekly, James Cameron has given a new update on the state of Avatar 2, Avatar 3 and Avatar 4: "I'm in the process of doing another pass through all three scripts right now. Just refining. That's in parallel with the design process. The design processors very mature at this point. We've been designing for about a year and a half. All the characters, settings and creatures are all pretty much [set] (EW, 12/2015)."
- Lightstorm Entertainment will work once again with Joe Letteri and his team at WETA Digital on the three films.
- 20th Century Fox will make three Avatar sequels. The three pictures will be filmed simultaneously with production beginning in 2013. The release of the first sequel will be in December 2016, with the second to follow in December 2017, and the third a year later (Deadline.com, 8/1/13).
On or about April 18, 2019, the film was in Post-Production status.
On or about April 22, 2017, the film was in Production status.
Shooting commenced April 2017 on four concurrent Avatar sequels.
On or about March 10, 2017, the film was in Pre-Production status.
Avatar 2, 3, 4 and 5 will all be filmed together.
On or about December 30, 2015, the film was in Pre-Production status.
James Cameron has plans to make three sequels back to back - lots of pre-production work needed.
On or about October 26, 2013, the film was in Pre-Production status.
On or about August 22, 2013, the film was in Development status.
War Of The Worlds scribe Josh Friedman has been hired to work on the screenplay.
On or about April 14, 2011, the film was in Pre-Production status.
On or about October 27, 2010, the film was in Development status.
On or about October 27, 2010, the film was in Announced status.
On or about December 21, 2009, the film was in Concept status.
Avatar 2 Release Date: When is it coming out?
Questions: Asked About Avatar 2
Looking for more information on Avatar 2?
Check out the below links, may contain affiliate links.